Of all of Ferrari’s series-produced Berlinetta's, none can compare to the car that started it all; the 250 GT long-wheelbase Berlinetta from 1956–1959. The dual-purpose road/race car’s 2,600-millimetre wheelbase became the foundation for numerous 250 GT series that followed, and the long-running Colombo 2,953-cubic centimetre V-12 was never in a more ferocious state of tune than in the beautifully styled long-wheelbase Berlinetta.
The 250 GT LWB TdF bodywork steadily evolved during production and is now classified in four distinct series, most easily characterised by the rear c-pillars, or sail panels. Of 79 total TdF examples made between 1956 and 1959, the first 14 cars had no vents in the sail panel. Nine second-series cars featured 14 louvers on the sail panel, followed by 18 cars in mid-1957 with three vents on the sail panel, and a revised nose featuring recessed, covered headlamps. Starting in 1958, a final, fourth series with single-vent sail-panels was produced in a quantity of 36 examples
Chassis 1335GT is believed to be the sixth of twelve TdF examples built in 1959, and the 30th of 36 overall single-vent sail panel examples. According to a copy of the original build card, this Ferrari’s engine (internal number 0292 D) was built on 4th April 1959, slated as a special competition version of the Tipo 128D motor. Specifications included Borgo pistons for higher compression, special Tipo 130 camshafts, a six-blade cooling fan, Weber 36 DCL3 carburettors with trompette tips, and no air filter. Tested on 20th April, the engine developed over 247 metric horsepower and almost 260 foot-pounds of torque, performance figures that bear out the motor’s upgraded racing components.
Chassis' 1335GT was sold new on 23rd April 1959 to Casimiro Toselli, a resident of Torino who had plans for an immediate racing campaign for the rakish TdF. In 1962 the 1335GT was sold to its second owner of record, Dario Vico, of Torino. Mr.Vico retained the TdF for two years before selling it on 29th April 1966 to Carlo Maggiore, a fellow Torinese resident who in turn sold the car almost two years later to Ettore Buzzi. On 25th March 1968, Mr Buzzi registered the rare Ferrari in the name of his dealership, SCAT, which stood for Societa Commercio Autoveicoli Torino. In May 1973, this 250 GT berlinetta passed to Giovanni Litrico, of Torino, before being acquired in 1975 by Bruno Riccardi, of Brescia. The car was then purchased in early-1977 by an American businessman living in Milan, Marvin Emery Collins, of Oakland, California, who soon sold it to Albert Obrist, known for building one of the most important collections of Ferraris ever assembled.
In 1980, the 1335GT found lasting ownership when acquired by Giorgio Schon and Giorgio Ambrogetti, of Torino, the car’s ninth owners of record. As the official Ferrari agent of Milan, Mr Schon was well suited to serve as a long-term conservator, a role he commenced by entering the car in the historic races at Monza on 12th April 1981. Later that year, Mr Schon bought out Mr Ambrogetti’s interest in the Ferrari, becoming the car’s sole owner.
Spotted in the paddock at the historic races at Monza in 1987, 1335GT then participated in the Mille Miglias of 1988 and 1989. In 1995, the TdF was seen at the Tutte le Ferrari a Mugello Shell Ferrari/Maserati Challenge Finals at Mugello; while in April 1997, it competed in the Tour de France, completing a circuitous 30-year journey back to its namesake race. A month later, 1335GT was shown by Mr Schon at the 50th anniversary of Ferrari events in Rome and Maranello, while in November, the car participated in the Tutte le Ferrari in Sicilia event held in Pergusa, Sicily.
In 2002, 1335GT was acquired by London-resident Reza Rashidian, who eventually sold the car to the consignor, a collector in Brescia. Since then, this Ferrari Berlinetta has been extensively restored and now features a premium bare-metal paint finish, as well as an all-new proper interior in beige Connolly Leather. The exacting standards of this work have completely renewed the dashing TdF to a stunning level of elegance, truly demonstrating just how handsome this brutish competition car really is.
Beckoning future ownership to indulge in spirited vintage touring, or a run at the competitive show circuit, this beautiful and rare 250 GT TdF is a well-documented example with demonstrated racing history. The car’s unusual competition-spec engine further elevates its provenance, which, as one of the most collectable series-built Ferraris of all time, is already quite considerable. Exactingly restored and stunningly presented, this highly desirable piece of Ferrari history offers both great performance and aesthetic beauty, and it would be the crowning piece of any Ferrari collection.
Below is a selection of classic, high performance and prestige cars from our portfolio. William Loughran specialises in finding the rare and unobtainable, so if you don’t see the car you are looking for, get in touch with one of our experts and we can start tracking it down for you.